St Paul's Cathedral - Sales Assistant
St Paul’s draws together a very diverse set of activities, projections and aspirations. It is the Cathedral of the Diocese of London and the seat of its Bishop, a national church and an international spiritual focus, a space for worship and holiness, a place of debate and challenge, an icon of resilience in the face of adversity, an architectural heritage centre, a partner in the City of London, and a commercial enterprise. In addition to holding four services every day (five on Sundays), St Paul’s is open for sight-seeing six days a week, and in 2018 welcomed over 850,000 paying visitors.
The purpose of the job is to deliver exceptional customer service as a Sales Assistant and operating in a safe and secure manner in all day-to-day running, following best practice and the relevant Cathedral procedures and policies. This involves working as part of the team supporting the commercial enterprise of the Cathedral on achieving the agreed budgets and Key Performance Indicators for the shop. The Canon Treasurer is the Chapter member with responsibility for this area of work.
- To serve our customers and provide exceptional customer care and assistance/information to shop customers and all of our visitors being part of providing fantastic memories of St Paul’s Cathedral to our visitors;
- To assist in the day to day operational activities of the Cathedral shop in an manner reflecting the surroundings and supportive of the Cathedral’s Vision and Values;
- To operate in a safe and secure manner in all day to day running operations of the shop following best practice and Cathedral procedures and policies such as Health and Safety/Manual Handling, Fire and Security, Cash Handling, Safeguarding etc.
- To apply product knowledge in order to assist customers and maximise sales;
- To operate the EPoS system in an efficient manner, both tills and back office where needed;
- To be responsible for cash handling accuracy and credit card payments;
- To highlight stock shortages, and ensure sections are fully maintained and cleaned to an exceptionally high standard with clear merchandising;
- To deal with stock deliveries, accurate pricing and barcoding, returns and general stock room organisation;
- To think about and be aware of any suspected suspicious activity and behaviour within the shop and wider Cathedral area and follow agreed procedures;
- As part of the team, to work towards achieving and exceeding the agreed Budgets and Key Performance Indicators.
- Any other appropriate duties that the line manager, senior management or Chapter may request from time-to-time.
The Ideal Candidate
- A passion for working with the public is paramount with excellent welcome and customer service skills, ideally gained in a visitor-facing role in a busy environment
- Experience in retail, ideally of a similar type and scale
- A friendly, helpful disposition and the ability to deal appropriately with people in all walks of life
- Good communication skills in English, written and spoken
- Experience in cash handling and computerised till operations; able to demonstrate efficiency and accuracy
- Willingness to solve problems and in particular the ability to troubleshoot till equipment issues
- A calm disposition, team working skills and the robustness to deal with some situations
- High standards of personal appearance and behaviour appropriate to a major place of worship
- Interest in our product range and willingness to engage with customers and identify appropriate opportunities for up-selling
- Pride in a clean, orderly and presentable shop environment, taking a share of cleaning and ensuring first class product presentation
- Complete honesty and integrity deal with cash handling and stock control.
- Able to carry out the physical aspects of the job - operating the till, cleaning, engaging with customers on the shop floor, product display and presentation, share of cleaning and lifting etc.
- Advanced skills in a language other than English that has significant representation among visitors to the Cathedral
The successful candidate will be in sympathy with, and in their work support, the Christian aims and mission of St Paul’s Cathedral.
Applicants must have the right to work in the UK.
St Paul’s Cathedral seeks to enable people in all their diversity to encounter the transforming presence of God in Jesus Christ.
- St Paul’s is seen primarily as a living Christian Church
- We will be a centre for welcome, worship and learning, and though our care and imagination, will inspire successive generations to engage with the richness of the Christian faith and its heritage.
- Working with the Bishop and Diocese of London and the wider Church, we will be a spiritual focus for people across London, the nation and a broader international audience.
- Our work will promote dignity and justice for everyone.
Welcome – we all offer a warm inclusive welcome to everyone: our colleagues, volunteers and each and every visitor
Responsible – we are all responsible for each other and for part of the whole of the Cathedral’s work, not the whole of a part
Effective – we are professional and do what we say we are going to do
Nourish – we have a learning culture, not a blame culture