Ordained Lead Evangelist, North Sutton Centre of Mission and Vicar of St Helier
This Vacancy has been closed.
Mission Statement (Optional)
St Helier Estate is in Carshalton and Morden and straddles the London Boroughs of Sutton and Merton. It is home to about 30000 people of whom about two thirds live in the parish of St Helier. It is a diverse estate with many young families as well as older residents. About half of the residents own their homes and approximately 38% of all households are social rented. The estate is currently recognised as having high levels of deprivation, unemployment, single parents, elderly people and people with long term disabling illness. 31% of all households with children are lone-parent households. Large parts of the parish are amongst the 20% most deprived neighbourhoods in the country
Bishop Andrewes’ and St Peter’s are small but committed congregations. We believe in the transforming love of God in Jesus, and we seek to share his love with our community, so people may have life in all its fullness. We are aiming to make “Jesus the heart of the community”.
This role has been created in partnership between the Diocese of Southwark and Church Army to bring the Good News of Jesus Christ to the St Helier Estate and to transform the community in His name. Centres of Mission are small teams of evangelists living and working with local people especially those disconnected from church, seeking to unlock God’s potential within them and to grow new worshipping communities amongst them. The Lead Evangelist will lead the North Sutton Centre of Mission, recruiting a Pioneer Evangelist to work alongside them, and will also be the Vicar of St Helier. Members of the two congregations are enthusiastic about this appointment and the Centre of Mission and ready to volunteer to support it.
To share the good news of Jesus Christ with the people of the St Helier Estate, making disciples and building appropriate Christian communities (Fresh Expressions of church), particularly amongst people with little or no connection with church. To encourage local Christians, especially the members of St Peter’s St Helier and Bishop Andrewes’ Churches, into mission through action and word.
The Ideal Candidate
- A gifted Evangelist with experience of having pioneered Christian community amongst unchurched people.
- A person of prayer who has the spiritual resources to pioneer, and a passionate desire to do so.
- A collaborative leader who can lead diverse groups of Christians and those willing to volunteer to work alongside the Centre of Mission
- A creative person who takes the initiative
- An ordained priest in the Church of England, (or in another Anglican Church with permission to officiate from the Archbishop of Canterbury) with training in Mission to a nationally recognised level for example, Church Army Commission or Ordained Pioneer.
Closing date: Wednesday 4 November 2020
Parish visit and interview date: Wednesday 25 November 2020