The following content displays a map of the jobs location - Slaidburn
Rector of The Hodder Valley
Are you a priest with a heart for rural ministry and a spirit of adventure? If so, we have an exciting opportunity that could be just right for you.
Set in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty in the Forest of Bowland, the newly formed and distinctively rural single Parish of the Hodder Valley covers one of the most unspoilt parts of Lancashire. The parish was formed in July 2023 by the joining together of Whitewell St Michael in Diocese of Blackburn and the Benefice of Slaidburn with Tosside, previously in Leeds Diocese.
Currently, there is weekly worship in St Andrew’s Slaidburn and fortnightly at Whitewell. Two other small chapels of ease have occasional worship. The parishes are “Lancashire Low” in churchmanship and the Patrons are Church Society Trust and Bishop of Blackburn. Services are taken mainly from Common Worship. There is a church school in Slaidburn which is an important part of the ministry of the Rector.
What We Offer
- A half-stipendiary post in return for three days plus Sunday
- A rural parish in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty
- Opportunities to be creative in mission in a parish open to new ideas
- A warm and supportive welcome in all churches
- Dedicated lay people and parishioners, actively and robustly working together to spread the gospel to all ages
- A four-bedroom Rectory in the beautiful village of Slaidburn
- Strong community life
The Ideal Candidate
Who are we looking for
We are looking for a half time priest who:
- will seek to develop and grow the congregations in line with the Diocesan Vision 2026
- will work collaboratively with the congregations and develop lay leadership
- is keen to develop fresh ways of reaching into the community and who will continue to grow the important links with schools and young people.
- can “be a vicar for everybody” (KS2 pupils at Slaidburn School) and has a pastoral concern for all ages, from the very young to the elderly.
- will sensitively encourage our working together across the churches to develop friendship and the sharing of ministry
- enjoys preaching and making the Gospel accessible to a diverse range of people
- is able to drive, has his/her own transport, and has an appreciation for country life.
Closing date: Sunday 3rd December 2023
Interviews will be held on: Wednesday 3rd January 2024
For an informal conversation about the post, please contact;
Revd Liz Mclean, Area Dean on 01254 782886 / 07397 785611 or email email@example.com
Or, The Venerable Mark Ireland, Archdeacon of Blackburn on 07866 778791 or email Mark.Ireland@Blackburn.Anglican.Org
For information about Blackburn diocese please follow this link https://jobs.churchofengland.org/blackburn/vision-2026/
For information on making an application through Pathways please follow this link https://jobs.churchofengland.org/HELP/candidate-faq/